2014 Edmonton Soaring Club Junior Soaring Camp
Where: Edmonton Soaring Club, Chipman Alberta
When: Friday, August 22 2014 - Friday, August 29 2014
Who is Eligible: Licensed glider pilots under 26 years of age. Due to aircraft and instructor limitations, only seven (7) applicants will be accepted.
Accommodations: Bring a tent and stay on the field, or use our bunkhouse. Shower and kitchen facilities are provided in the clubhouse so that cooking is easy. Rides may be available into Edmonton, Chipman, Vegreville, or Lamont for groceries. Nearby Chipman also has a restaurant if rides are available from local members.
Transportation: ESC’s volunteers will be available to pick attendees up from Edmonton if pilots come via bus or airline. Prior arrangements are required.
Cost: Camp registration fee is $50 non-refundable. Tow fees are standard at $14/1000 feet. Glider rental fee is significantly reduced to $0.60/min. GST not included.
Course Opportunities: The Blanik L-23, the Puchacz, the Blanik L-33, the PW-5, and ASW-15 (only for experienced pilots) are available for rental. Attendees will also have the opportunity to receive training in the following activities:
1. Heavy emphasis on pilot decision-making in all aspects of flight and ground operations.
2. Transition to higher performance aircraft. Your training will start in the L-23 and Puchacz. Pilots showing excellent decision-making and flying skills may be allowed to solo in the single-seat gliders.
3. Land-out procedures.
4. Advanced thermalling techniques, collision avoidance.
5. Cross-country soaring equipment, techniques, and options.
6. Emergency parachute procedures.
7. Composite glider construction methods, rigging, and derigging
Note: All applications must be received by August 15, 2014. Registration will be on a first-come, first serve basis.